Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Aluminum case from PDAir


I've used 3 pda-phone so far, and what all of them have in common was it's casing. I've always used an aluminum case from PDAir.

Why?
Because I'm really clumsy, and since I work my bum off to get my PDA, I always like to get the best protection available. As the usual leather pouch given at purchase is usually not enough for me. Leather case seems to be really bulky, and silicone case don't seem to offer much protection. and the former would be hard to put in my pocket, and the later would be sticky and hard to take out of my jeans pocket not mentioning lints magnet. Don't know why, my choice always fall for the hard case, metal case, whether it's a PDA or it's ipod. plastic would just snap when I put it in my pocket.

Aluminum only adds a little more bulk compare to silicone one, yet offer a much better protection against bumps and drops.

Why the hell would I put a bulky PDA phone in a jeans pocket one would say, yeah why indeed. being extremely clumsy, back when I used my 6365. I used to hang it from my belt with the belt clip that comes with the case. after a month or so, I simply snap the belt clip into pieces, it was hard to get another one out here, so i just decided to put it in my pocket, and don't bother with belt clips ever since.

PDAir tend to be really careful when designing their aluminum case. Every single one I've used fit just perfectly, and every single buttons are easily accessible. I could check the screen without opening the case thanks to the cutout on top of the screen, it's protected by hard plastic by the way. Infrared got it's own cutout, so one would be able to use infrared even it's inside the case. you could receive phone call and take pictures and all without ever taking it out of the case.

I would give 10 out of 10 for this case, obviously the design it with users in mind.

The one for 6365 had a memory card holder inside, which could old either an SD card or a MMC card. Feature I love, which unfortunately didn't come with the other 2 I used, probably due to the smaller, device, which would result smaller space to work wit on the case.

All three came with great finish, one was silver, and the other 2 was black. Gotta love the black one. looks really nice. However, color would fade over time. the coat of the silver one disappeared after a while, leaving the aluminum bare and scratched. The black however, the paint fades after a while, probably due to frictions when inserting and taking out of my pocket, leaving greenish color at first and then bare brushed aluminum. Better the case than the phone it self, thats why it's there isn't it? to take battering and torture instead of the phone, can you imagine if the case weren't there?

To be expected with an aluminum case, reception would take a small hit. Especially those that have an internal antenna. HP6365 didn't have much problem with it, due to the external antenna. Dopod 818pro takes a really small hit, but generally acceptable. I don't know what's wrong with 6828, it just takes a really bad hit, taking a hit of 3-4 bars out of 5. so in a place where I would usually have 5 bard of reception, i would be left with 1 or 2 bars even none at all.

I don't know if it's HP's fault with the phone, or whether it's just bad design on the case. I did some testing with the case, on this 6828 version, there are small cutouts at the back exactly where the internal antenna should be. Well, I've always thought that the cutouts were to improve signal reception. I tried to cover the whole back of the case with my palm, a very un-scientific test i know. Well, what usually happen with other phones is signal would drop if the internal antenna is covered by hand. Boy.. was I surprised when covered, my PDA usually have improved signal. With that in mind, I make a very un-educated guess. Could it be that the cutout actually diffuses the signal wave? is it even possible? what if there r no cut out at all would the signal passes the aluminum better rather than got diffuse by the cut out. I'm gonna try to try to cut the 3 cutout slits and make it a 1 big cutout. and see how it goes. I'm gonna update my post once I get around to actually make myself to do it.

But for protection and design I would still Give It a 10 out of 10

And on the side note, their after sales is really good. I sent them an e-mail regarding the bad signal. They offered me a one to one replacement, only if i would send the case to their office in Hong Kong. When I said that, it would just simply cost more than the new case just to get the case to their office, and besides wou't all the aluminum case be the same?
The CSO I sent email to actually forward my e-mail to the president, this is where the president reply to my e-mail, and where she insisted that i send my case to Hong Kong, and she would give me cash back for the case I purchase or exchange it with a leather case instead, or simply just give me the money to buy a leather case if it cost just way too much to sent it for exchange.
WOW! that's what after sales is all about. Best experience with after sales I've ever had. Only if every company has after sales that great. Even if their product has a flaw, I won't feel that I got screwed by the company. Apparently great after sales isn't dead.

No comments: