Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Windows vista never ending nightmare

Working with vista is almost as if I pick-up a girl at a bar while drunk, never know what you gonna get and hope that you are waking up to a good looking girl. With Windows vista I woke up with a nightmare.

Every PC users has high hopes for this new Operating system. It looked beautiful, with promises of security, with overall improvements over windows XP, and did I mention it's beautiful?

Being beautiful, it needs high maintenance, low ends can barely run it, main stream gets non satisfactory performance, high performance PC is the only option. I use a mainstream PC, on the lower end of the spectrum nonetheless. A dual core PC, with a gig ram, should be enough. After-all the requirements was only a modern processor, a dual core 3600+ should be enough. A gig of ram was more than enough since the requirements is only 512, hell with these i still run XP at a blazing speed. The 6100 on-board video card is not the fastest, but it is suppose to be able to run vista's Aereo just fine, I hardly use my computer to play games, so it doesn't really matter t me as long I can see the eye pleasing effects on my monitor. With the same computer I installed Vista RC1 few months back, and a score of 3 with windows assessment, which was enough to get beautiful effects on vista. To my disappointment in the final version I was only given a score of 2,3. what a bummer, I guess I need to get a real video card with some raw power.

RC1 was a bit buggy on my machine, and kinda slow. I've thought the final should have all the bugs straighten out and faster cause to the best of my knowledge the RC was running error reporting that would report bugs to Microsoft, in the final the debugging function has been disabled. They had released RC2 since then, they had plenty of time to get everything right and iron out bugs. To my disappointment, the shipped version is just as buggy on my machine as it was RC1. Hangs more than 10 times over the course of several hours, don't know if it was the driver wise or whether if it was a bug in the windows that makes it really unstable. I really think it was more of the windows that's unstable, cause right after the installation finish, without anything on it, a clean windows, it hangs several times while changing settings on the windows.

After several hangs and slow responds, I just gave up and went back to windows XP. I will go back to explore more of vista later and try to report more of it, just hoping that I can cope with it.

No comments: