Thursday, March 8, 2007

Low costing parts for high priced PDA-phone?

To me A PDA-phone is targeted for a mobile warrior, highly active mobile warrior, and it's price rage is right up there with most premium mobile phone, cost even more sometimes.

I've own, an HP6365, a Dopod 818pro, and now an HP6828. What they all have in common is that they all has been sent into repair.

I used Hp6365 for a year and it was sent into repair twice, both times it was in for busted speaker, sounds coming out are distorted. The first repair was on the third month, it was fixed in 3 days of time. Yet after another 3 month of use it happens all over again, this time I didn't even bother to fix it until it was time to sell the device several months later.

My dopod 818pro was with me for 8 months, and it's in repair 2 times both times for busted speaker also. The first repair was done during the 2nd month of use, speaker ceases to work for some reason, and the vibrate on the phone become much2 weaker all the sudden. Their really weak after sales service is not helping either. The first time it took almost a month in repair. And as of now, the second repair has taken 2 months and it's still not done yet.

My latest HP6828, only after a little bit more than a month of use, the flash LED that is used for taking pictures is having problem, it lit dimly all the time, and wouldn't turn off. In turn it wasted precious battery live. My 6828 is still in repair now also, they promised that it will be done in 3 days. it's been 3 days and I'm still waiting for some news.

If the quality of the hardware are that poor, what makes them so expensive? Mind you that i'm not the only one having problems with PDA-phone, tons of other people from several forums I visited has same problems with poor quality hardware. I know that companies like HP just re-brand their PDAs, but still selecting which parts to use is still up to them. So I guess it's also their decision to use such poorly made parts that breaks easily. Is it just me or what? I really think that devices that are costing more than $500 at their initial release should have better reliability, it's not cheap, and it's targeted for premium users. Most cell phones, even high end ones hardly cost that much, and almost all of them have better builds. I even use a Nokia 1 series that cost 1/10th of my PDA that last longer and is more reliable, been using it for almost 2 years without a hitch, same thing with my series 6 phone. How is it possible that a $50 phone has better build quality than a $500 PDA-phone. Speakers are louder and clearer, for the most part it last long, at least till the end of the device's life. Such poor quality from the camera, which render it hardly usable from a PDA-phone is put to shame with a $100 phone, which take a much better pictures.

Shame on PDA manufacturer, N series from Nokia are also targeted as premium phones, most cost less than a PDA-phone, several cost the same, but loot at that build quality.

1 comment:

SkinHead69 said...

yup...in same price range, PDA-Phone was more look "cheaper" than Smartphone... ;)